So with school starting up again, I thought that I would share with you guys some important tips that I learned along the way on my college journey, since I am now entering into my senior year. To be completely honest, I really didn’t have the “stereotypical” college experience that you see on TV. I started a year late, and was VERY unsure about what I wanted to do. I also was going through a lot of things personally, but that’s another story. But anyways, here are some tips to survive your college years.
- It’s OK to be a little bit confused about what you want to major in or to drop a class here and there. Give yourself some time in your first year to explore your options and to get a feel for what interests you. Everyone is different when it comes to this situation, some people know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives and for some it takes a while. Once you finally do know give it 110%, and gain experience by taking an internship or job shadowing.
- If you commute it’s harder to make friends, believe me I know. Just start talking to people in your classes or join a few clubs. Really get involved and a social life will come to you.
- Speaking of a social life, PARTIES. I really didn’t go to many, like I said I really didn’t have the “typical” experience. I went to a community college the first 2 and a half years and now I’m at a university. Just have as much fun as possible, your only young once but just watch out for yourself.
- Balancing work and school can be very difficult. My suggestion is to only work part-time if needed or find a simple job on campus. It SUCKS not having a lot of money, but you have to put school first and concentrate on your grades. Afterall that’s why you are there, and you will thank yourself in the long-run.
- Living on campus. I only lived on campus one semester, my first year at my university and I didn’t really like it. The independence was great, but it wasn’t how I thought it was going to be, it also was a huge waste of money. I didn’t have a roommate either, but if you decide to share a dorm make sure the people that you are living with are compatible with your personality. For example, if you are hermit don’t room with someone who likes to party. Find people that get you out of your comfort zone a little, but that also make you feel comfortable enough to be yourself.
So those are all my tips for college, I hope you enjoyed!